- Afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement
- Very foolish
Synonyms: harebrained, mad
Derived forms: insaner, insanest
- Edgar Allan Poe – I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Philip K. Dick – It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.
- Sylvia Plath – Mad Girl’s Love Song. I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my lids and all is born again.(I think I made you up inside my head.) The stars go waltzing out in blue and red, And arbitrary blackness gallops in. I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead. I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed and sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
- Robert Frost- If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.
- J. D. Salinger – Mothers are all slightly insane.
- George Orwell – I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
- George Bernard Shaw – When two people are under the influence of the most violent, most insane, most delusive, and most transient of passions, they are required to swear that they will remain in that excited, abnormal, and exhausting condition continuously until death do them part.
- Marie Lu – You drive me insane June. You’re the scariest, most clever, bravest person I know, and sometimes I can’t catch my breath because I’m trying so hard to keep up. There will never be another like you. You realize that, don’t you? Billions of people will come and go in this world, but there will never be another like you.
- Ilona Andrews – Not only will you sleep with me, but you will say please. I stared at him, shocked. The smile widened. You will say please before and thank you after. Nervous laughter bubbled up. You’ve gone insane. All that peroxide in your hair finally did your brain in, Goldilocks.
- Richelle Mead – What’s going on? he demanded. The usual, old man, I replied cheerily. Danger, insane plans you know, the stuff that runs in our family.
- And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
- I was never really insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
- Some lose all mind and become soul, insane. some lose all soul and become mind, intellectual, some lose both and become accepted
- Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
- We can spend our lives letting the world tell us who we are. Sane or insane. Saints or sex addicts. Heroes or victims. Letting history tell us how good or bad we are. Letting our past decide our future. Or we can decide for ourselves. And maybe it’s our job to invent something better.
- A person who has not been completely alienated, who has remained sensitive and able to feel, who has not lost the sense of dignity, who is not yet for sale, who can still suffer over the suffering of others, who has not acquired fully the having mode of existence – briefly, a person who has remained a person and not become a thing – cannot help feeling lonely, powerless, isolated in present-day society. He cannot help doubting himself and his own convictions, if not his sanity. He cannot help suffering, even though he can experience moments of joy and clarity that are absent in the life of his normal contemporaries. Not rarely will he suffer from neurosis that results from the situation of a sane man living in an insane society, rather than that of the more conventional neurosis of a sick man trying to adapt himself to a sick society. In the process of going further in his analysis, i.e. of growing to greater independence and productivity, his neurotic symptoms will cure themselves.
- The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- A sane person to an insane society must appear insane.
- It wasn’t until I started reading and found books they wouldn’t let us read in school that I discovered you could be insane and happy and have a good life without being like everybody else.
- Do you think it’s possible for an entire nation to be insane?
- When you’re the only sane person, you look like the only insane person.
- Are you kidding? I stop in the middle of the kitchen. Spin around. My face is pulled together in disbelief. You’ve spoken to me maybe once in the two weeks I’ve been here. I hardly even notice you anymore. Okay, hold up, he says, turning to block my path. We both know there’s no way you haven’t noticed all of this he gestures to himself so if you’re trying to play games with me, I should let you know up front that it’s not going to work. What? I frown. What are you talking about. You can’t play hard to get, kid. He raises an eyebrow. I can’t even touch you. Takes hard to get to a whole new level, if you know what I mean. Oh my God, I mouth, eyes closed, shaking my head. You are insane.
- He falls to his knees. Insane for your sweet, sweet love!
- Always say yes to the present moment. What could be more futile, more insane, than to create inner resistance to what already is? what could be more insane than to oppose life itself, which is now and always now? Surrender to what is. Say yes to life and see how life suddenly starts working for you rather than against you.
- You’re insane! she shouted. Pretty cool, huh? No! Tally yelled. Why didn’t you tell me it was broken. Shay shrugged. More fun that way. More fun? Her heart beating fast, her vision strangely clear. She was full of anger and relief and joy. Well, kind of. But you suck.
- When I was done speaking I felt his body had gone still again, stone still. And silent. Then he asked quietly, Nightmare? Nightmare, I replied firmly. They didn’t move. By a miracle, I held it together. Then he moved but it was to rest his chin on my shoulder and I closed my eyes because I needed him to go, go, go so I could fall apart again on my own. Then he said, Your nightmare, mama, was my dream. My heart clenched. He kept going. Never had a home until you gave me one. My breath started sticking. Never had anyone give to me the way you gave to me. My breath stopped sticking and clogged. Never thought of finding a woman who I wanted to have my baby. Oh God. Never had light in my life, never, not once. I lived wild but I didn’t burn bright until you shined your light on me. Oh God. Whacked, insane, but, at night, you curled in front of me, didn’t mind I did that time that wasn’t mine cause it meant I walked out to you. He had to stop. He had to. He didn’t. Your nightmare he whispered, turned his head and against my neck he finished, my dream.
- I think about you much more than any self-respecting man would like to admit, and I’m insanely jealous of Tucker – something I never thought I’d say. Moving on after you is impossible. No other girl can keep me on my toes the way you can. No one else makes me WANT to embarrass myself by writing sappy letters like this one. Only you.
- There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there. It is hard for me to make sense on any given level. Myself is fabricated, an aberration. I am a non contingent human being. My personality is sketchy and unformed, my heartlessness goes deep and is persistent. My conscience, my pity, my hopes disappeared a long time ago (probably at Harvard) if they ever did exist. There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it, I have now surpassed. I still, though, hold on to one single bleak truth: no one is safe, nothing is redeemed. Yet I am blameless. Each model of human behavior must be assumed to have some validity.
- Follow me, Myrnin said. And do stay together. And by the way, this is the last time I go anywhere with you people. You are all insane.
- how come you’re so ugly? my life has hardly been pretty , the hospitals, the jails, the jobs, the women, the drinking. some of my critics claim that I have deliberately inflicted myself with pain. I wish that some of my critics had been along with me for the journey. it’s true that I haven’t always chosen easy situations but that’s a hell of a long ways from saying that I leaped into the oven and locked the door. hangover, the electric needle, bad booze, bad women, madness in small rooms, starvation in the land of plenty, god knows how i got so ugly, i guess it just comes from being slugged and slugged again and again, and not going down, still trying to think, to feel, still trying to put the butterfly back together again it’s written a map on my face that nobody would ever want to hang on their wall sometimes I’ll see myself somewhere suddenly say in a large mirror in a supermarket eyes like little mean bugs face scarred, twisted, yes, I look insane, demented, what a mess spilled vomit of skin yet, when I see the handsome men I think, my god my god, I’m glad I’m not them.